Sylhet, famous for the shrine of the celebrated saint Hazrat Shahjalal(R.), has been in the forefront of India. Modern medicine was introduced to the community by the establishment of an institutional hospital in the heart of the city in 1936 which was later upgraded to cater for the British and allied troops of Burma front in World War II. In the year 1948, the hospital was further upgraded and extended to convert it into a medical school with appropriate teaching staff and residential accommodations in order to produce Licentiate of Medical Faculty (LMF) doctors. Later on the Govt. decided to start a five years course leasing to MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery) degree and as such in 1962, the Sylhet Medical College come into being. The bed strength was increased to 300, The college was initially started with 27 students and was affiliated to the faculty of Medicine of Dhaka University, with the upgrading of the medical school into a medical college, the need for a larger space for housing the various department as well as a quieter and congenial surrounding became obvious. As a result of which the present location in the western sector of the town was selected for the purpose, where the college was finally shifted in 1969 and the bed strength was increased to 500. Since then the college has been continuing its steady progress.
The number of admitted students is now 150 per year, which is the same in all the medical college in Bangladesh. In the year 1986, the college was renamed “Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College” after late General MAG Osmani, the liberation war hero. Since then the college has made steady forward and in time it was realized that the college was ready for greater honors for what it and already achieved during the years.